According to a report published Wednesday by Swiss news outlet SWI, the court rejected an appeal filed by a young Afghan man against a decision to deport him from Switzerland.
The report said judges in St. Gallen had reassessed Afghanistan’s security and humanitarian situation before issuing the ruling.
Quoting the court, SWI reported that returns to Afghanistan should remain limited. However, deportation may be permissible in cases where the individual has suitable personal circumstances.
The ruling applies to all parts of Afghanistan, according to the report.
The case involved a young Afghan man with a work history who was also said to have the support of a family network in Kabul.
Swiss migration authorities rejected his asylum application at the end of 2025 and ordered him to leave the country.
The ruling could signal a shift in Switzerland’s approach to returning Afghan migrants, as serious concerns had previously been raised about the situation of people deported to Afghanistan.
